We have some substantial new project work coming in for 2020 and are looking for a Front-end Developer who is ready to take a leading role in delivering accessible, scalable and robust user interfaces and experiences.
These will be primarily for our public sector clients in Wellington, including highly visible and heavily trafficked sites that provide important services for New Zealanders and international audiences. This will also cover Sparks’ contribution to and work with the emerging New Zealand Government Design System and Sparks’ Sector Drupal distribution.
What you can expect from the role:
- Challenging work architecting, developing and evolving design systems
- The opportunity to contribute across disciplines, as we’ll value your input in user experience, design, content architecture and overall site vision and performance
- Enthusiastic support and respect from a stable, high-performing team
Nuts and bolts type stuff we’re interested in:
- Experience with large-scale CSS architecture (Drupal 8 follows a SMACSS-style categorization of its CSS rules)
- Practical insight into the fundamental principles of design and typography
- Rock solid foundation in HTML/CSS with the ability to maintain high standards under pressure
We build our sites almost exclusively with Drupal, so some familiarity with Twig and Drupal site-building would be a great place to start.
However, in our experience what makes a great fit for both the business and the people who work here is:
- The desire to learn, and share that learning with the team
- An ability to listen, communicate openly and honestly, and translate that into action
- Confidence in working independently, with a willingness to work well with others
Sparks has been around a long time, but we’re pretty low key and we don’t hire often. We’ll respect your time and your life alongside work. Sparks has flexible work practices, meaning we support choices around where and when work gets done. This particular role’s potential for leadership and direction however would benefit from majority time spent working in the studio with clients and colleagues. Happy to talk.
Laundry list of boxes to tick:
- Knowledge of design software (Sketch, Photoshop)
- Comfortable working with vectors and SVG
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility benchmarks
- Familiarity with front-end build tools and task runners (Yarn, Gulp)
- Knowledge of the Unix command line and a shell of your choice
- Experience with browser development tools (such as Chrome or Firefox DevTools)
- Experience with CSS preprocessing (SCSS, PostCSS)
But the reality is if this gig is for you, and Sparks appeals as the place you can come along and create career-defining work for some important clients, then get in touch!
This is unlikely to be a graduate or early-career role, but if you feel you have exceptional technical skills and are looking to develop your communication and leadership then please get in touch.
Generally our salaries generally sit within the following ranges:
$45,000 - $55,000 full time : graduate or trainee role with less than 2 years track record
$55,000 - $65,000 full time : proven ability to deliver consistent commercial results in your chosen field
$65,000 - $75,000 full time : you are a reliable go-to for pressure work, your efforts uplift those around you
$75,000 - $85,000 full time : you lead and direct, and take responsibility for overall project outcomes
$85,000 and upwards : a significant track record of achievements, people are at their best when they work with you
Let us know where you see yourself fitting in.
To apply please email email@example.com with a CV and portfolio links. And/or just send through any questions you may have. Sparks celebrates diversity and believes that equal opportunity is an active choice that we are happy to make.
Or if you are into it, you can apply via Workable: https://apply.workable.com/sparksinteractive/j/370E8A559D/